Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Week 5 ~ Assignment 1-3


I have been following Daily Beast and Locus and my impressions are similar for both sites. Each is packed with information and links that make gleaning suggestions a breeze. Frequent visits are a must for me.
Daily Beast's busy page will lead me all over the map if I am not careful. I do enjoy their Cheat Sheet, Highlights, and This Week's Hot Reads. Because science fiction and fantasy are my less preferred genres I particularly enjoy noting titles to try and suggest. I look to Monitor, Reviews, and Perspectives and SF&F news to see what I should be aware of. I'm enjoying perusing the scifi awards' links; I had never heard of some of these, like the Mythopoeic and Sturgeon awards. Fun stuff.
________________________________________________________________________________

As far as Early Word goes, I regularly check this site and its myriad of listings/links. For this assignment I discovered the People Magazine book reviews index archive - useful and worth revisiting on a regular basis since I am not a People reader. I also liked Library Love Fest, official blog of HarperCollins library marketing folks. I signed up for their newsletter and found an event to attend next week at Book Expo that will preview upcoming titles for the book club set.
________________________________________________________________________________

Finally, Marisha Pessl has a follow up to her widely popular debut, Special Topics in Calamity Physics, published in 2006. Due out this August, Night Film features investigative journalist Scott McGrath who suspects the life (and death) of a beautiful young woman is not what it appears. When he learns the dead girl's father is a reclusive cult-horror film director he senses an unsettling, unseen and eerie threat closing in, especially when another body shows up. Striking a creepy, haunting tone Pessl's clever literary thriller is ripe with exquisitely written prose and a suspenseful tone sure to please her fans long waiting to hear from this talented author.

No comments:

Post a Comment